Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thoughts on the Sephora Experience/Nightmare

Sooooooo......(and mind you this blog is stream of conciousness so forgive the rambling I'm not going for Newberry Awards), I venture into Sephora today against my better judgment. I was in Union Square and had time to kill and thought, hmmmmmmm, this beauty blogger needs to research! However, I knew I was going in to feed the hungry ghost that is my desire for potions, creams, elixirs and tinctures in tiny glass jars. Perhaps it's the vain witch in me. Ah, sigh, well, yes, you see I like to know the answers. I like to know how systems work and how they expire and all the steps leading up to such. It's called being a control freak in layman's terms, and the freak comes out in the overwhelming onslaught of products ensconced within the walls of Sephora. What does the word Sephora mean anyway? It is reminiscent of an ancient Babylonian queen who was terribly beautiful and vain and happened to one day succumb to mortality. In a panic she conjured the evil deity Sephora, harpy of Tempation, who promised her everlasting devastation of beauty and enchantment if she would only promise to trade this for her kindness. The queen agreed and became utterly cruel and wicked and eventually caused the ruination of her peoples. Oh Sephora, you rat. Well, her spirit Sephora is alive and well and living in mini malls around the nation!! So....I storm in there a in a stupor, all things fall away, I am in the magical land of beauty, nothing bad can befall me here. I want it all, all of the products, all of the promises, I cannot bear the thought that I may miss out on a new cream or shadow or liner or blush that will ensure unfailing bliss. STOP. Go into Sephora with a game plan, know which product you want, do your research, do NOT lollygag. Keep your cool, do not heed the whispers of the words on the compact that read "Love" "Baby" "Kitten" "Goddess" "Bad Girl""Angel""I've got a Secret""Starlight""Moonbeams""Dream Come True."

Separate your love of products from your love of yourself and of life and of wonder and adventure and rapture. No dust or must or gel can give you what you are truly seeking........a FEELING. I have realized these products give me a feeing I need to cultivate on my own. That said, I LOVE LOVE LOVE makeup and skincare. Let us journey into the sensory world and bring the feeling of beauty with us. This is how we shall navigate through Sephora from hereon out. Ok, maybe I won't, but you could give it a try. In other news, Sephora makes my head spin. TOO MANY CHOICES. Which is the right one? More than anything, Sephora HAUNTS me. I am haunted by the idea that I walked right past the golden egg. More on the haunting of Sephora in a later blog. Will I ever feel peace with my purchases?!?

Seahorses and Sugarplums,
Pink Pamplemousse xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment