Thursday, July 8, 2010

LOOK boutiques at Duane Reade. This ain't your average bougie experience.

I simply must urge all beauty fanatics (aka Sephora junkies, QVC beauty watchers, sex kittens, fairy tale princesses, etc.) to visit the new, fairly luxurious (for a drugstore) upstair LOOK boutiques at select Duane Reades around the city. These boutiques are entirely dedicated to skincare, makeup, nails, hair and parfum. Never before seen brands. (by moi anyway). AKA, stuff you will NOT find in Sephora. Lines from France and Italy and Wonkaland. Ok, not Wonkaland. I dillydallied for a good hour or so a few times in the store on 42nd and 8th and, thus far (oh there will be more), have deemed five products absolute superstars. The POP makeup brand is one of the more unique lines I have ever seen, and their WOW mascara will blow your mind. I know, I know, we've all been bamboozled with absurd, heartbreaking mascara promises, but I don't work for any of these companies, and I'm telling you, you've never seen anything like this mascara. (The only one in my experience that comes close is the brush-less mascara from Bare Escentuals.) The POP Cat Eyes liners are also divine. The crayon is cut in a way that makes the cat eye flick much easier; The application is so so very smooth and the color, highly pigmented. (Srsly I despise stiff, unyielding, low pigmented liners. The WORST.) Moving on to a lovely, vegan-friendly brand 100% Pure, the lip pencil in Perfect Berry jingle jangled my heart most thoroughly (Yes, this is a good thing, a very good thing, the jingle jangling of the heart. So good I bought it.) The next brand that impressed me was Pur Minerals. By the ingredients alone (copper, magnesium, licorice root extract), I think I've found the best eye cream I've ever encountered.. These ingredients are the BEST anti-aging powerhouses, and I've never seen them together in one eye cream. Combined with a retinol product (I love ROC retinol products), you should be set. Pur Minerals also has mineral makeup, but I've yet to stray from my Bare Escentuals. (However, I will try their mineral foundation someday and write a review.) Whimsical items include a scent library from Demeter and a skincare line from Italy called Rilastil. It looks a tad clinical, this Rilastil line, but I like that about it, makes me feel like a mad scientist. And I do not feel like a mad scientist nearly enough in this life. ALSO, oh I almost forgot, the Borba Diamond Microdermabrasion
kit. It works. It WERKS. Your skin will feel brand fucking new. (Sorry, but I had to utilize an expletive to really draw this point home.) BRAND FUCKING NEW. The Borba anti-aging acai drink mix is pricey at $2 a pop but it is delicious. Not to mention I feel like a Hogwarts student when I drink it, such is the ooooh! inducing fluorescent violet hue it creates when mixed with my Evian. (I only drink French water.) I had to rein my itchy wallet fingers in around the zany, wacky, c-c-c-craaaaazy Demeter fragrances. I have an unnatural affinity for the scent of condensed milk (but do I really want to smell like Bordens is the question you must pose to yourself in the Demeter section. So.... hmmmmm....YES!). Anyway, they boast quite the gamut of scents. They're Bertie Bott's Beans for adults. Other aromas include Funeral Home, Suntan Lotion, Dirt, Laundromat, Grass, Hershey's Kiss, Baby Powder, Leather Whip. Yes I am severious. (Watch out for the sprinkling of this word I invented, it means seveeeeeeerely serious omg ah-k?) So in sum, LOOK boutique rawked my world and will probably rawk yours if at any point in the perusing of this blog you felt your cells oscillating in a most splendiforous way..

My 5 picks at the LOOK boutique
-POP WOW mascara
-POP cat eye liner
-100% Pure lip liner pencil in Perfect Berry
-Pur Minerals eye cream
-Borba Diamond Microdermabrasion kit

http://www.duanereade.com/NewStores.aspx

Signing off, Pink Pamplemousse. xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment